Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez



        In the book"Dead is the New Black" by Marlene Perez, Daisy Giordano (the main character/protagonist) lives in Nightshade, with her mother and two older sisters. Rose and Poppy , her family is different from others because her sisters and her mother have Physic powers (telekinesis). However, she feels left out because she's the only one who doesn't.
Her mother uses her powers to solve crimes, when her mother needs huge help in a crime.Daisy wants to help however,she asks her older sister Rose that has "more knowledge" than her. She gets really pissed off and complains why she can't help. "Why can't I help?" The question burst out of me. "If she gets to, I'm helping, too," Poppy said. "I don't think so, Daisy." Mom shook her head firmly. In this quote she really wants to help however her mom deny's it. She feels left out and feels agitated by her lack of telekinesis.
          "I know you do, honey," Mom said." But I need Rose's help now." "You mean Rose's physic abilities."  In this quote from the book I noticed that she feels abandoned and hates the fact that Rose's get to help and not her. She thinks that her mother doesn't want her help because she has no powers and weak.
        Overall, I think that Daisy is going through a lot so far because her mom works long hours and doesn't have time for her. To add on, her father disappeared when she was small and she has no one to tell her feelings, she's having a rough time and feels annoyed.  

4 comments:

  1. Keren, by reading your post we can obviously see that Daisy isn't really the most privileged child. You kind of get a sense of sympathy when you read about her. Your post was decisive and very clean cut. However, you did a lot of summarizing instead of thinking. Maybe next time trying to think about going into Daisy's shoes and try to see what it might be like to have those hardships in your everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was really great because you gave a summary without telling too much. Also anyone reading your post will know enough about he book to want to read it, I now would like to read, "Dead is the new black". I really like that you used quotes front the book to make what you were saying about the book. Overall I think you did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a good summary of what has been going on without blurting out the whole story so that there would be no need to read it. I was

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if I wanted to read this post because of the title, but I did anyways and was glad I did to learn that the book wasn't what I was expecting it to be

    ReplyDelete