I have recently finish reading, The Girl who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow. This book has an injustice example of society.There's discrimination in color that can actually give an harsh example to the reader. There's also bullying which is not fair and makes the reader uncomfortable. The protagonist in this book that gets discriminated and bullied is Rachel. She has recently moved to New Orland's in a black community with her grandma as her guardian. Rachel has to deal with this and her family's tragedy. Rachel fights herself to hope.
Discrimination in color was and is a very huge trouble in society. In the early 19's this was one of the main issues in which blacks and whites got segregated. In this book however, Rachel gets discriminated by her eye color and her skin color. "I am light-skinned-ed. That's what the other kids say, and I talk white. I have blue eyes and I learn that black people don't." This obviously discrimination in color in which the protagonist, Rachel has to cling to hope to survive her epic issue. They call her white and make fun of her eyes because their blue. This can also make the reader uncomfortable in which I can connect, made me feel annoyed. Other people shouldn't judge others, we are all equal.
Rachel also has to suffer bullying in which she clinches to hope."Her name is Tamika Washington . She says I'm going to kick your ass. Sometimes she pulls my hair. In gym class she grabs my two braids." This shows bullying which can anger the reader. I think that the authors perspective by this quote is to show the reader different ways others get bullied, this also got me sick at how the bully her.
"My stomach tightens and my eyeballs get hot. I put all of that inside the bottle." Inside the bottle? This seems like Rachel is having critical issues when she gets bullied and discriminated. Also by the way she says,"my eyeballs get hot" means that she gets annoyed and angry. When she says," I put all of the that inside the bottle." It explains that she likes to hide her feelings and not show them and since she doesn't cry she keeps all if the that in the bottle.
Overall, as I came up to all these issues in society like discrimination in color and bullying, this made me frustrated and made me think of others. Like I wouldn't want someone bullying someone this way, I wouldn't want to be discriminated by my race or color. I also came up to think that Rachel is as strong surviver and she fights herself to what she hopes for, like her family. The girl who fell from the sky made me realize and think about issues that are going on the world.
i really liked your opinions you had towards the book and explain why you think this is an example of injustice in society because i totally agree that this book it has a lot of issues in society that happened back then and now. And i all so liked how you explain each issues on its own paragraph and explain each detail .
ReplyDelete~~Daisy Villalva
Keren- I really admired that you chose to show how there was or wasnt justice in your book. I think that it is really hard to try to see injustice in a book. In my essay, I looked for justice in my book and it was very hard. You did a really good job because you said something was injust and you backed it up.
ReplyDeleteGreat Work:)
~Tygerlily Gagnon