Thursday, October 17, 2013

Teen Fiction plots are Darker and Starker by William Porter

    Teen Fiction plots are darker and starker by William Porter, supports and claims that YA books can be darker HOWEVER teens can explore YA books and use them to deal with issues in their lives. 
    Librarians and booksellers said, “even pitch-black books such as “Wintergirls”, a chilling look at teen anorexia, HAVE VALUE.” This supports and explains that books are not completely DARK, they have some value that helps teens deal with issues going through their lives. A quote from Jill Adams says, “it reflects whatever’s going on their lives.” This basically means that YA books or most of them are dark stuff about teen lives?...I don’t think so but I also agree because these days SOME not ALL teens are dealing with this dark stuff. Like me I’m not dealing with this dark stuff. The authors probably think that ALL teens are dealing with this but their wrong because some aren’t.      
     Shelly Wilhemof the Bookies, a Denver bookseller said, “as kids, they want fantasy, but when they enter their teens, they want more realistic and darker books because they’re struggling with those issues and ideas.” I truly agree with this, me as a teen I want more realistic books on what’s going on in the world. Not fantasy books, I wouldn’t want to read a childish book.
      The author even said, “dark as these books can be, they tend to be leavened by REDEMPTIVE endings.” Dark books are not just evil books that poisoned our mind. They leave saving someone from evil or terror as the word redemptive means. In the article it also states that, “adults find these books interesting with great literature."However, we the teens not adults understand more than adults do because those dark books are written about teens.
     Overall, William Porter point’s that YA books are not bad they teach us and give us useful stuff that we are going through. I truly agree with William Porter he convinced me with great details and the way he supported his claim. They should not consider YA books evil that “SUPPOSEDLY” give us cruel examples of dark stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Keren,

    I really liked your response. It was really interesting to see someone's ideas on an article I read and annotated. I loved the structure of your piece, it had a nice tone. I felt like I was not being talked at but I was being showed your opinions throughout the blog post. I think that is a really great writing technique to have. I think next time you should read it over because I found a "cuz" in there and some other spelling errors. I also think you should state what your clear theme is because I kind of was thinking you were against dark books because you are saying you want to read realistic fiction, and then in the conclusion you said you agree with it. Nice job!

    -Tygerlily

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on supporting your ideas and using tone in you essay, you should revise a little because there was a few spelling mistakes but other than that you did a great job on your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys, I just noticed that I did spelling mistakes and my claim wasn't really strong this actually helped me because now I know I should make my claim stronger next time.

    ReplyDelete